You wanted to look at the list of organisms that can cause the stomach flu, well here you are you keener!
Here are some of the bacterial species that can cause the stomach flu and how they’re usually contracted:
- Escherichia coli (E. coli) – Contaminated food or drinking water, food poisoning
- Salmonella – handling poultry or reptiles that haven’t been properly cleaned
- Campylobacter – undercooked meat or milk that hasn’t been heated to kill bacteria (Don’t worry, the latter is handled by the processors of dairy products!)
Some of the types of viruses that can cause the stomach flu are:
- Norovirus – this is the virus that causes the largest number gastroenteritis outbreaks.
- Rotavirus, which is the most common cause of gastroenteritis in children. It can also infect adults who are exposed to children who have the virus.
- Enteric adenovirus
And two parasites that causes really watery diarrhea are Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium, though the latter only really affects those with weak immune systems.