I’m a university student and you can bet that I’ve seen a lot of people under the influence of alcohol. They can be loud, giggly, emotional, and sometimes really tired.
I wanted to see just what effects alcohol has on our bodies, so posts about the different effects of alcohol will be popping up every now and then. For now, I thought it would be cool to see the list of effects alcohol has been found to have on our bodies.
Some of these effects are real extremes, so take them lightly. 🙂
List of the effects of alcohol on our body
- Makes you urinate more frequently (stay tuned, we’ll be talking about this one shortly!)
- Flushed appearance
- Reduced cognitive and motor skills(which is why you shouldn’t drink and drive!)
- Loss of inhibitions and more confidence
- Blurred vision (aka beer goggles) and slurred speech
- Intense moods, e.g. aggression, elation, depression
- Alcohol poisoning, which is really lethal
Diseases/conditions (in extreme cases!!!)
- Can lead to the development of heart disease after long-term excessive use.
- Potential cancer developing effects
- May cause pancreatitis, which can lead to the development of diabetes
- Liver disease
- High blood pressure
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Weakened immune system
Effects on our reproductive systems?!
- Linked to damaging fertility (extreme case)
- Small amounts of alcohol can affect a woman’s menstrual cycle
- Alcohol can reduce the amount of testosterone a man produces
- May affect the quality of a man’s sperm
And this is just a sampling of all of the effects of alcohol. In a couple of weeks, we’ll be talking about urination so that we can get to explore the effects of alcohol on it the week after :).
So, take it easy with eggnog for now, ladies and gents. No need to binge drink, it may just lead to some unhealthy effects!
I will be on hiatus until the first week of January, due to the holidays but Happy holidays and Happy New Year 🙂 Stay safe!